What a relief to finally be able to use Solitude III again for the purpose she was built. As early as March I was out sailing locally, lingering on the water until late to make it a sunset cruise. After a winter on the trailer, under a new cover, the new centerboard was still working perfectly.
|At anchor in Langley|
|Everett, WA, a lovely place to go sailing|
I bought an anchor when I was first fitting out Solitude, but had never had cause to use it – time to see if everything I had read about using the anchor would work in practice. I eased Solitude in to the anchorage and dropped the hook. I backed it in and satisfied myself that it was holding. It seemed so…I guess I got it right the first time.
|She looks good on the hook|
Now for the next bit of unused kit. Some time ago, I had picked up a little two-man rubber raft on sale. It sat since then, wedged in a little space in the cabin underneath the foo
twell. I crawled unded, retrieved the unopened box, and hauled it on deck. Within a few minutes, a little dingy was floating aside the mothership. I cautiously lowered myself over Solitude’s side, and rowed ashore.
After lunch, I returned to the boat, stowed the raft, pulled up the anchor and took off. I set full sail immediately on leaving Langley and took off into the gentle wind. On the way, the wind started picking up and I the sailing was actually quite spirited off the north end of Hat Island…what a wonderful little trip!