I made my first attempt to fix the centerboard just over a week ago. My goal was to check for any debris that might be jamming the board. My original plan had been to careen the boat, and thinking it through all winter, I couldn't come up with a better idea. But then, just a few days before I was ready to make my attempt, I realized that maybe I could get sufficient access just by heeling the boat over dockside.
|Solitude III with all or her ballast and gear removed.|
|In the end, she was actually heeled over a little more.|
|The sticky centerboard is visible just beneath the water's surface|
As far as next steps go, I'm planning on trying to get some ventilation going in the centerboard trunk and see if that helps. I will then dunk the boat again and (unless the problem has magically gone away), do some more careful measuring and diagnosis. More to come.