Now, two years, almost to the day, after first reading the manual, I found myself slicing up some beautiful pieces of spruce...I was building my mast. This was completely unplanned, but I guess it really did turn out to be two years before the mast!
|My "radar reflector." I have no way of knowing if this will work.|
The planks were 5/4 (dimensional) rough cut, so I had to spend about an hour running them through the surface planer to get the 3/4" (actual) required thickness. I wish I had a picture...I nearly filled up a 32 gallon garbage can with spruce shavings!
|Staves getting the epoxy-sealing treatment|
|Blurry camera mode has been enabled...here are the staves ready for the glue-up|
|Still blurry. I did the glue-up outside so that I'd still have room to work inside the shop. Note the proximity to the blooming rhody. Only one bee managed to get distracted from the pink flowers and entomb its rear legs in the squeeze-out.|
|Blurry mode disabled. Still a bad picture, though. Here the mast has been cleaned up and the roundovers applied.|
|Speaking of bees, I saw one fly into a hole in the garage. I wondered where the hole lead. It lead into the garage...and the growing wasps' nest! I dealt with this quickly.|
|Test fit of the lazarette hatches|