|Cutting out the centerboard trunk blocking material.|
|All the blocking for the centerboard trunk.|
Have plenty of time left in the day, I moved on to something that I've been looking forward to for months, building the bowsprit. I started with a beautiful piece of 4x4 (a.k.a. 3.5"x3.5") CVG fir. I first cut this piece down to the specified size (3"x2.5") for the bowsprit blank. In doing so, I ended up slicing off a piece of fir that should be ideal for the gaff....bonus!
|This chunk of wood is destined to become a bowsprit.|
I started off trying to copy the pattern for the bowsprit from the plans using the same method that I've used for the plywood parts. But that was a little clunky. I realized that the tapers are actually absurdly simple, so I took a couple of quick measurements off the plans, made a few pencil marks on my blank, and was off. Per the manual, I elected to use my table saw to freehand the tapers. In relatively short order I had rough cut the spar. Between the belt sander and a plane, I got the bowsprit cleaned up, and then whipped out the router to chamfer the edges.
|Cutting out the bowsprit|
|The bowsprit, rough cut|
|The "completed" bowsprit|