I have found that with the arrival of the epoxy, I have been liberated to start doing things that really feel like progress.
|Thickened epoxy poured into the rabbet in the centerboard|
Since first reading the manual and looking over the plans, I knew that assembling the rudder would be one of the earliest things I'd work on. So, I glued down the timber blocking that I had earlier cut out and shaped to one of the plywood rudder skins. The next night I went out and glued on the other skin.
|The rudder blocking glued to one of the rudder skins|
|The rudder takes shape|
|Here, the blocking has been glued to on side of the centerboard trunk.|
|The centerboard trunk.|
|Scarfing together the plywood panels that will make up the bilge, side, and topside panels.|
Returning to the keel assembly, I set about shaping the noseblock. Step 1 was to cut out 1/4" rabbets on either side of the aft end of the noseblock to receive the plywood sides of the keel. Step 1 didn't go so well. Somehow, I miscut the rabbets. Twice. I ruined my blank, so I had to laminate up a new one. I'll have another go at the noseblock in the near future.
|Getting ready to cut the noseblock. Little did I know I was about to make a mistake and ruin this piece.|
|Here I'm test fitting the aft keel blocking|
|The aft keel blocking, glued and clamped to the port keel side.|
|The centerboard trunk glued to the port keel side.|